Learn about wellness from the healthcare experts
Emerald Physicians has hosted a very popular Vivapalooza community expo on health for years. It’s a tradition they plan to revive, but this year the primary care practice with 13 offices on Cape Cod has decided to change direction and offer a more intimate educational experience with a five-part series called Wellness Trails.
“Patient education, empowerment, and advocacy are key values of Emerald Physicians, as is community outreach,” said Julie Badot, director of marketing and special projects at Emerald Physicians. “Presentations by physician speakers from Cape Cod Healthcare and Emerald Physicians will be complimented by concepts that support wellness, including yoga and mindfulness, nutrition and cooking demonstrations, and exercise.”
The first Wellness Trail event on February 12, is a perfect example of that kind of collaboration. The focus will be on heart and lung health to tie into the fact that February is American Heart Month. While registration for the free event is already full, other talks will take place throughout the year.
To give people an idea of the types of speakers and topics the program will cover, here is a list of the speakers at the Feb. 12 event:
- Elissa Thompson, MD, RPVI, a cardiologist with Cape Cod Healthcare who is also the Medical Director of Cardiac Rehabilitation at Cape Cod Hospital and the CCHC Congestive Heart Failure Clinic, as well as Director of the Healthy Parks/Healthy People project
- Daniel Arnold, MD, a primary care physician at Emerald Physicians who will speak about lung health.
- Maureen Hammett, owner of The Moving Meditation Yoga Studio, who will lead a cardio-endorsed chair yoga session.
- Tony Colesano, owner of Crescendo Sport & Fitness, who will be teaching simple exercise moves to benefit heart and lung health.
- Dianna Carpentieri, MS, RD, LDN, a registered dietician with Delicious Living Nutrition, who will share nutrition tips, recipes and do a healthy cooking demonstration.
- David Sauro, founder and president of Heart of Wellness (H.O.W.), who will speak about a holistic tripod approach of nutrition, movement and attitude to create heart wellness.
“We’re really excited about the partners we’re collaborating with on this event,” Badot said. “It’s a nice assortment of local experts to learn from.”
In addition to the speakers, they will be offering free blood pressure checks, lung testing spirometry, and non-fasting cholesterol testing.
Future Wellness Trails are still being planned under the guidance of Emerald Physician’s medical director, Kumara Sidhartha, MD, but topics will include:
Each Wellness Trail is from noon until 2 p.m. in the conference room at Emerald Physicians newest office at 495 Station Avenue in South Yarmouth. Registration for first Wellness Trail on Heart and Lung Health is now full, but information and registration for the next event in the series will be announced in the future.
“We’re very enthusiastic about this series,” Badot said. “Our mission is to deliver quality, comprehensive health care promoting overall wellness and embodying the values of compassion, care and respect for all. We think the Wellness Trails fit that mission very well.”
Note: As of 5/1/2019, Emerald Physicians joined Medical Affiliates of Cape Cod (MACC), a division of primary and specialty care physicians from Cape Cod Healthcare.