Cape Cod Hospital Volunteering
Make a difference in the lives of our patients.
Like the original group of concerned citizens who began our community hospital in 1919, our volunteers continue a tradition that binds us together as a family. In addition to the sense of accomplishment and personal gratification that volunteering at Cape Cod Hospital provides, there is also the opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people, contribute to the community, and to learn about current healthcare issues.
The Volunteer department is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service and support. We respect the dignity, individuality, and diversity of our patients, visitors, and colleagues. We are committed to providing compassionate, well-trained volunteers who offer quality assistance and exceptional customer service.
The following are the requirements needed for volunteering:
- Applicants must be at least 15 years old at time of application
- Able to commit to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours a week according to an assigned schedule (minimum 8 hours a week for summer/student volunteers)
- Request an application, complete it and follow the instructions to return the completed application to Volunteer Services for review and follow-up
During the interview process, full details and further instructions will be provided on how to complete the following health and safety requirements necessary to volunteer.
- (2) Tuberculosis skin tests administered by our Employee Health Office
- CCHC’s Physician’s Health Clearance form signed by your physician that you are able to perform the assigned duties
- Background check (CORI)
- Attendance at day-long Orientation Class
Student/Summer Volunteer Program
NOTE: Regarding CCH Summer 2019 Student Volunteer Program
We are currently working on final preparations for summer 2019; therefore, we are NOT able to take application requests for the student volunteer program at this time.
In order to be fair to the many students who inquire about our summer volunteer program all year long, we will ONLY begin to accept application requests for summer 2019 on FEBRUARY 20, 2019 until our quota is reached. Students will need to return to our web site on or after February 20, 2019 and submit their request for an application at that time.
Students are encouraged to volunteer at Cape Cod Hospital during July and August. Students must be at least 15 years old at the time of application. Volunteering at a hospital is most beneficial for those students who are considering a career in healthcare.
Our summer student volunteers are assigned to one of the following:
- Errands: Assist hospital staff with errands as requested including delivering flowers, mail, newspapers to patients, visit patients with book cart, transport medical records, take specimens to the lab, and other errands as needed. Involves some patient contact and lots of direct interaction with hospital staff.
- Patient Transport: Assist in moving in-patients within the hospital from their room to/from testing or procedure areas, as well as escorting patients who are being discharged from the hospital. Involves opportunities for direct patient contact as well as frequent interaction with clinical and nursing staff.
Returning, experienced student volunteers may also have the opportunity to volunteer in the emergency center, out-patient registration, information desk, or off-site locations based upon the operational needs of the hospital at that time.
The minimum time commitment for all summer volunteers is TWO 4-hour shifts per week, same times and days each week, assigned according to hospital needs. Shift times are either mornings from 8am to noon or afternoons from noon to 4pm. The minimum commitment required for each student participating in the summer volunteer program is 8 weeks and/or 64 hours (i.e. 8 weeks of volunteering, 8 hours per week).
To request an application, simply click on the “Apply to Become a Volunteer” tab and fill in and submit the “Request a Volunteer Application” form. (See NOTE above regarding date restrictions for applying to this program.) Receiving an application package does not guarantee acceptance and/or placement in the program. We make every effort to accommodate as many students as we can on a first come, first served basis.
Volunteer Opportunities for Adult, Year-Round Volunteers*
Volunteer assignments are based upon the volunteer positions we currently have open within the hospital and the volunteer’s ability to perform the duties required. Many volunteer assignments require an additional interview by department management before your placement is confirmed.
Depending upon availability at the time of application, we have volunteers assigned to the following areas/departments: (See “Student Volunteer Program” above for list of summer volunteer assignments – THE LIST BELOW DOES NOT APPLY TO SUMMER STUDENT VOLUNTEERS.)
- Patient Transport
- Pastoral Care
- Out-Patient Registration
- Emergency Center
- Breast Care Center (Cuda Women’s Imaging Center, Hyannis)
- Cancer Resource Center
- Information Desk
- CVPA Reception Desk
* NOTE: Due to large influx of student volunteers during the summer, please note there is a moratorium on adult, non-student application requests from April 1 to August 1. Thank you!