The JML Expansion Project
JML Care Center, a member of the Cape Cod Healthcare system, is a nationally recognized, licensed nursing facility providing personal care and state-of-the-art treatment in Falmouth, Massachusetts. Services include post-hospital rehabilitation, long-term care, sub-acute care, palliative care and adult day care. The Center offers award-winning, personalized care to more than 100 residents.
JML is Medicare/Medicaid certified and is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare, an independent, national organization recognizing the highest in quality healthcare. The 132-bed skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility is located on the Falmouth Hospital campus and provides a transition for patients recovering from surgery or medical conditions requiring complex medical care.
From rehabilitation after a joint replacement, to stroke recovery, to adult day services and skilled nursing care, JML serves a broad range of medical needs with a supportive, highly skilled award-winning staff.
JML is a vital piece of the healthcare continuum and provides three services for the community:
- Rehabilitation services: care for post-surgery, heart attack, stroke
- Long-term care: a welcoming, warm place to live at the end of life
- Adult day health program: for people with disabilities and those who are homebound, providing respite for caregivers
Who We Are
- JML is part of the Cape Cod Healthcare system and is on the Falmouth Hospital campus, which makes it attractive to patients being discharged from Falmouth Hospital.
- JML has an extremely good reputation in the community
- Patients keep their doctor; the hospitalist who saw them at Falmouth Hospital can go over and round on them at JML.
Awards and Recognitions
- US News and World Reports rated JML as “high performing”
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services overall 5-star rating (out of 5) and staff and Registered Nurses Rating of 5 Stars
- Certified Music & Memory facility
JML specializes in complex care, including intensive rehabilitation following cardiac surgery or stroke. Staff provides expert support for patients who have multiple medical issues who need more involved medical care, such as rehabilitation after surgery, treatment to restore abilities following a stroke, long-term nursing care for complex medical issues, and stimulating activity for those who need assistance living independently.
JML’s staff have specialized skills in services including orthopedics cardiology, pulmonary, neurology/stroke and other complex medical situations. Clinical specialties include intensive therapies, wound care, diabetes and oncology.
Services at JML include:
- Skilled Nursing, Social Services, Dietary and Nutrition Services, and Therapeutic Activities
- Comprehensive Case Management with Nursing, Therapists, and Social Workers
- Medical care with Physicians and Nurse Practitioners
- Rehabilitation with Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Respiratory Therapists, and Speech and Language Therapists
- The average resident age at JML is 80 years old.
- JML cared for at least 236 men and 396 women in a one-year period that received Medicare benefits.
- Patients typically need a few weeks – generally 14 -30 days - of rehabilitation or intensive therapeutic care before they are ready to return home. The average length of stay is 15.9 days.
- JML has 150 employees, with nursing and physical therapist treatment ratios which are above the national average.
- Patients at JML include those with the following conditions:
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Heart Disease
- Rheumatoid or Osteoarthritis
Adult Day Health
Adult Day Health is a program at JML that provides daily care to older individuals who live at home, but also need a combination of social activity and care. It is a cost-effective alternative to providing full-time care in the home, and for some, delays nursing home placement. For family members, Adult Day Health is a way to continue with daily routines knowing that their loved one is receiving exceptional care in a supportive environment.
Adult Day Health is a comprehensive program directed by a Registered Nurse that includes socializing, meals, and mental and physical stimulation. The structure and variety of activities in the program provide a comforting framework, with the physical, mental and social stimulation that keeps participants engaged.
Highlights of the program include:
- Supervision by a medical staff
- Podiatry services and medical tests are regularly offered
- Special events (including birthdays) are celebrated
- Family-style meals and snacks
- Transportation available
- Flexible schedule offered Monday through Sunday
The goal of the Adult Day Health program at JML Care Center is to enable participants to live at home with the assistance to remain independent. Some participants have dementia-related illnesses, like Alzheimer’s disease, but are not ready for a nursing home. Instead of remaining housebound, participants spend their days with others and are encouraged to reach their highest level of function. This arrangement reduces the stress and worry that family members often experience as care providers.
A typical day in the Adult Day Health program may include activities such as:
- Enjoying a continental breakfast
- Group exercises
- Current events
- Cognitive games and discussions
- A family-style luncheon
- A community outing in the JML van
- Listening to musical entertainment, participate in talent shows and karaoke
- Play a physical game such as golf or bowling
- Arts and crafts
- Professional services within the Adult Day Health program include:
- Registered Nurses
- Certified Nurses’ Aides
- Activity Director
- Restorative Nursing Care
- Medical services and lab tests
- Nutritional consultants for assistance with meal selection
- Social Workers
- Educational activities
- Transportation on the B-bus (arranged by the director)
The Expansion Plan
JML Care Center, built in 1989, is comprised of two stories with 52 short-term rehabilitation beds on the first floor and 80 long-term beds on the second floor. As a part of a strategic planning processes, Cape Cod Healthcare developed a plan for substantial improvements and upgrades to bring JML into compliance with current standards and meet the needs of the residents it serves.
This capital project will renovate the existing facility, upgrading all systems and adding ten private rooms. The extensive renovation and improvements will modernize JML and improve the residents’ quality of life. In order to minimize disruptions to residents and staff, this project will be carried out in eight phases. The project involves 67,998 gross square feet of renovation and 12,245 gross square feet of new construction for a total of 80,243 gross square feet for the entire project.
As a member of Cape Cod Healthcare, JML is affiliated with Cape Cod Hospital and is located on the Falmouth Hospital campus. As a result, a significant number of JML residents are referred from the hospitals to JML for post-hospitalization rehabilitation. In the 30 years since JML opened, the shift towards short-term rehabilitation stays has resulted in an increase in demand for such services over time. To accommodate this need, JML now operates 52 of its beds on three short-term rehabilitation stay units, some of which are double-occupancy rooms.
The current standard of care is moving toward private rooms to provide for improved infection control, as well as resident and family privacy and quality of life. In addition, as these residents are recovering from acute hospital stays, including surgery, the ability to rehabilitate in a private room enhances healing.
Accordingly, this project will convert three 3 existing double rooms to four private rooms. The project also includes a 12,245 gross square foot addition with ten 10 private rooms.
In addition, JML operates 80 traditional long-term care beds on two units of 40 beds each. This project includes minor renovations to these rooms to add new lighting fixtures, select furniture and finishes. Such improvements will provide a refreshed environment and enhance resident experience.
This project will add capacity to existing HVAC systems, which are original to the facility, to accommodate the new patient wing. This project also includes partial replacement or upgrades to the facility’s electrical and plumbing systems, as well as the HVAC systems for heating and air conditioning.
This project also addresses issues that are unique to residential healthcare facilities. Specifically, all nursing stations will be renovated to ensure resident access and increased operational workflow for staff. Upgrades will also include access to computer stations for input of data to electronic health systems and will ensure quality care.
Safety systems throughout the interior of the building will also be refurbished to ensure the well-being of all residents, visitors and staff. New fire alarm and nurse call systems will be installed, as well as the replacement of lighting and fixtures throughout the main corridors.
Through this project, the common activity area will be redesigned and enlarged by 1,301 gross square feet to promote interaction among residents and staff and allow for new forms of recreation, providing for overall improved resident quality of life. In addition, the existing physical therapy area will expand by 1,400 square feet. This will allow staff to work with more residents at one time and reduce wait times for services. These improvements will lead to increased operational efficiencies and overall resident satisfaction for improved quality of life.
The facility currently has two elevators. Installation of a third elevator will allow one elevator to be designated for visitor use and increase capacity via the other elevators for patient transport, allowing for increased privacy.
A new covered and enclosed ambulance entrance is also included in the project. This addition will provide for increased safety and privacy of patients being transported by ambulance.
Join the Community in Support of JML
Josiah and Josephine Lilly’s philanthropy created an exceptional health care experience on Cape Cod for skilled nursing care. Since 1989, JML’s award-winning staff has provided the perfect blend of old-fashioned caring and state-of-the-art therapy, which makes a critical difference in getting the best outcome for our patients. The Lilly’s vision of excellence is continuing today with the commitment of Cape Cod Healthcare to totally renew and modernize the JML Care Center, ensuring the high-quality care that has been the hallmark of JML will continue for decades to come.
Today, we are turning to friends and supporters to help fund an important renewal initiative. The community’s philanthropic partnership will be essential to the continued provision of high-quality health care on the Upper Cape.
Please join us as we renew and rebuild for the future of the JML Care Center. Your support of JML will help advance our current level of excellence by benefitting the following priorities:
- Redesign the front of the center by adding a covered carport, driveway and side entrance for a new ambulance bay. There will be no more “front door arrivals” for new patients and residents arriving via ambulance. These folks and other visitors will have separate entrances to accommodate patient privacy.
- Add a new patient wing to allow conversion of double occupancy rooms to private rooms on the sub-acute floor.
- Redesign and upgrade all areas of the facility including the lobby, main dining area, library, hallways, second floor patient rooms, and all clinical stations.
- Enlarge and expand the physical rehabilitation area.
- Expand staff offices and administrative space. Staffing needs and requirements have changed since JML was built in the 1980s.
- Enlarge the second-floor activity area.
- Modernize the central kitchen, adding storage and a dining area for staff.
- Upgrade electrical systems to accommodate computer technology and hand-held devices.
- Add a new services elevator.
This project is registered with the Green Guide for Healthcare (GGHC). The GGHC is a best practice guide for healthy and sustainable building design, construction, and operations for the healthcare industry and integrates enhanced environmental and health principles and practices into the planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance of healthcare facilities. The areas of the project where the majority of the credits will be focused are in water efficiency, materials and resources, and environmental quality. The use of sustainable materials, as well as the reuse of existing building and its materials will be a primary focus. The project will maximize sustainable construction practices in a way that will maintain the building site and create less waste.