Maternity Care During COVID-19
The health and safety of you and your baby is always our top priority. Our team of obstetricians, certified nurse-midwives, nurses and support staff at The Family Birthplace have implemented additional guidelines at this time and welcome you with compassionate, expert care. Additionally, we have expanded our virtual offerings for childbirth education and support.
Safety Guidelines in Effect at The Family Birthplace
- Patients will be asked about potential exposures and flu-like symptoms on admission.
- One birth partner is allowed and a doula is also permitted for laboring women. It is recommended that the support person stay with the partner for their whole admission, although the support person may leave if there is an urgent need. The cafeteria is only serving staff at this time, but support persons may have 3 meals delivered to their room, from the hospital dining service. No outside food delivery can be delivered to the floor.
- If a Labor and Delivery patient is COVID-19 positive, the patient will be allowed one birth partner and doula and no visitors. The support person(s) will be provided PPE (surgical mask, gown, face shield, gloves).
- Patients who are coming to maternity for evaluation will not be allowed to bring a support person.
- Patients and support persons arriving at Cape Cod Hospital for delivery will be given masks to be worn throughout the hospital and whenever a staff person is present in their room.
- Patients and support persons are encouraged to stay within their room for their whole stay, and not to walk in the halls.
- Lactation support will be provided at the hospital with lactation consultants, and following discharge will be provided with remote access, by Zoom or telephone consultation.
- Patients will work with providers on discharge plans. Some patients may request early discharge, but not sooner than 24 hours following vaginal delivery.
- We are committed to providing safe and expert care to our patients. Staff will be wearing masks and following infection control procedures strictly.
Virtual Childbirth & Parenting Education and Support Groups
Although our regular in-person programs are currently suspended, we are pleased to offer most of our childbirth education curriculum, as well as breastfeeding and new mothers’ support groups, virtually via Zoom with our instructors.
The Family Birthplace App
As a supplement to the classes and support groups offered through The Family Birthplace at Cape Cod Hospital, our free and convenient web app provides essential tools and information for comprehensive learning on the go, from pregnancy to parenthood.