Early Detection Saves Lives
An annual screening mammogram is the best way to detect breast cancer in its earliest stages when it can be treated effectively, beginning at age 40 for women of average risk. At Cape Cod Healthcare, we offer the latest digital technology of 3D mammography, the gold standard for screening, and a skilled team of breast imaging experts at our Women's Health Centers.
Facts about 3D Mammography
- 3D Mammography’s detail is similar to a CT Scan. Also known as digital breast tomosynthesis, it takes images of each breast from different angles and captures many thin layers of tissue. When images are re-constructed and combined with 2D mammography, they provide a clearer view of breast tissue compared to traditional 2D mammography alone.
- 3D mammography is more accurate. With its enhanced sensitivity, 3D mammography enables radiologists to better pinpoint the size, shape and location of abnormalities, reducing the need for call backs by approximately 2% overall. Mammograms can show changes in the breast years before a patient or physician can feel them.
- 3D mammography detects more breast cancers as compared to 2D mammography alone finding an additional 1 to 2 cases per 1000. It is proven to detect 41% more invasive breast cancers when compared to traditional 2D mammography.
- Women with dense breast tissue may especially benefit from 3D mammography, because of the clear picture it provides. We offer the Genius™ 3D Mammography™ Exam, the only mammogram that is FDA-approved as superior for women with dense breasts when compared to 2D mammography alone.
- 3D Mammography technology at Cape Cod Healthcare offers the fastest available scan time of less than 4 seconds, for better patient comfort.
- Radiation from an annual mammogram is a fraction of the average environmental exposure a person receives in a year.
Providing the Only 3D Mammography on Cape Cod
3D Mammography is available at our Women’s Health Centers:
Cape Cod Women’s Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Fund
This special fund assists with covering the cost of screening not covered by health insurance, including:
- 3D Mammography
- FAST Breast MRI
- Genetic testing
For more information, please call (508) 957-1623.