Hip & Knee Care
As two of the largest joints in the body, the hips and knees support us in almost everything we do. Because of their heavy use, they are subject to wear and tear, and are prone to injury.
Comprehensive care for hips and knees
The experienced orthopedic specialists at Cape Cod Healthcare’s Total Joint Center offer a full range of services for a variety of hip and knee conditions, including:
- ACL tears
- Cartilage injury
- Hip impingement
- Patella pain/alignment
- PCL tears
- Meniscus tears
- Osteoarthritis and degenerative joint disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Sports injuries
- Tendon tears
Treatments for hip and knee conditions
Our orthopedic specialists treat hip and knee pain using a variety of techniques, beginning with the most conservative. After careful diagnosis, they’ll work with you to develop a customized care map designed to achieve the best possible outcome for your specific condition.
Treatments may include:
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Physical therapy
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP)
- Steroid injections
- Hyaluronic acid injections
Minimally invasive surgery
When other methods no longer work to relieve your joint pain, it may be time to consider joint replacement surgery. The board-certified orthopedic surgeons at CCHC are specially trained in the latest minimally invasive surgical procedures, which use smaller incisions for faster recovery times and less pain.
- Hip and knee arthroscopy
- Hip replacement surgery – total and mini, using muscle-sparing techniques
- Knee replacement surgery – total and partial, using muscle-sparing techniques
- Knee joint resurfacing
Direct anterior approach to hip replacement surgery
This innovative procedure allows the surgeon to reach the hip joint from the front instead of the side or the back, allowing the hip to be replaced without detaching muscle from the pelvis or femur during surgery.
Diagnosis and treatment with MSK
Ultrasound(US) images of the musculoskeletal system provide pictures of the bones and soft tissue though out the body. This technology allows the radiologist to exam multiple joints in high resolution. It is an important tool used when diagnosing common ailments like bursitis and rotator cuff injuries. It is particularly effective in detecting diseases or conditions of the shoulder, elbow, wrist, fingers, ankle and foot.
In contrast, MRI provides a clearer picture of the entire joint, including bone abnormalities, cartilage and deep ligaments.
MSK US is a pain-free, non-invasive test that uses both technologies together. MSK US and MRI can be used separately or in combination.
When combined, MSK US is used to examine:
- Rotator cuff tendon injuries
- Shoulder bursitis
- Inflammation of the acromioclavicular joint
- Osteoarthritis of shoulder, hip, knee, ankle and hand.
- Achilles tendon tear
- Plantar fasciitis
- Plantar plate tear
MSK US as a treatment option
It can be used to guide therapeutic needle injections. This technology is also used to aid treatments for soft tissue or bone injuries:
- Therapeutic injection of hand, foot, ankle, knee, hip, elbow, wrist, fingers, shoulder joints
- Therapeutic injection of subacromial/subdelotid bursa
- Therapeutic injection of trochanteric bursa
- Therapeutic injection of ileopsoas bursa