“Unicorn power” rules the night at Dancing With the Docs
Back in September, nine doctors who’d agreed to take part in season 4 of Dancing With the Docs gathered to meet their “pro” dance partners.
Tara Chute, MD, an obstetrician and gynecologist, came into the event with no dance experience.
“I’m happy to raise money for a good cause,” she said. “If I can learn to dance in the process, that’s a bonus.”
And then, after meeting her dance partner, Brandon Simmons, she predicted: “We’re going to win.”
She was right.
At the end of the Feb. 29, 2020 fundraiser for Cape Wellness Collaborative (CWC), she went home with two awards: the Medicine Ball Trophy, chosen by a panel of judges, and the People’s Choice Award, determined by the number of text votes.
Eric Weber, MD, a primary care physician, was named the CWC Community Hero, determined by the highest total of pledged contributions.
Overall, the event, held at the Resort and Conference Center at Hyannis, was the biggest fundraising event ever for CWC. The organization provides free integrative therapies (including massage, acupuncture, Reiki and nutrition counseling) that can help people with a cancer diagnosis feel better. Since 2015, CWC has helped about 850 Cape Cod cancer patients.
Dr. Chute and Simmons danced the salsa to Tony Succar’s version of the Bruno Mars hit “Uptown Funk.” Judge Christine Harvey, a professional ballroom instructor, called their performance, “Hot, hot, hot!” and said she loved the choreography.
Dr. Chute had a loud cheering section in the form of Team Unicorn, with some of them (including her daughter) wearing unicorn horns.
“Everyone at work calls me the Unicorn Doctor,” said Dr. Chute. “It started with one patient. When you do the right thing, it’s sometimes considered extraordinary, but it’s really just doing the right thing.”
Asked what she’ll do with the Medicine Ball Trophy, which she gets to keep until next year’s competition, she joked, “I’m going to march it around my office. Maybe I’ll march it into the operating room.”
Here was this year’s lineup of competitors:
• Paul Anastasio, DC, chiropractor (cha-cha, Tracy O’Neill, “Higher Love” by Kygo and Whitney Houston)
• Stephen Brooks, MD, vascular surgeon (waltz, Kimberlee McHugh, “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” by Lily James)
• Tara Chute, MD, obstetrician and gynecologist (salsa, Brandon Simmons, “Uptown Funk” by Tony Succar)
• Talida Flonta, DDS, dentist (rumba, John Vazquez, “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper)
• Debra Foschi, DC, chiropractor (disco, Scott Ross, “Stayin' Alive” by the Bee Gees}
• Lindsay LaCorte, DO, obstetrician and gynecologist (jazz/hip-hop, Michele Colley, “Juice” by Lizzo)
• Diane Todd, OD, optometrist (swing, Doug McHugh, “Singin' in the Rain” by the Jive Aces)
• Eric Weber, MD, primary care physician (bolero, Samantha Gendreau, “Make You Feel My Love” by Michael Bolton and Helene Fischer)
• Mario Zacharatos, MD, family medicine (foxtrot, Rebecca Terkelsen, “I Could Write a Book” by Harry Connick Jr.)
For more information about Dancing with the Docs Cape Cod, visit the event’s web site or Facebook page.
Photo Credit: Michael & Suz Karchmer
Right Body Image: Tara Chute & Brandon Simmons
Left Body Image: Eric Weber & Samantha Gendreau