Kick back and forget about cancer
Cancer survivors on Cape Cod will have a chance to relax and be inspired at the YMCA Cape Cod’s upcoming Livestrong Retreat.
The event, which is sponsored by Cape Cod Healthcare, will take place September 14-16, 2018 at the YMCA’s Camp Lyndon in Sandwich, and there will be activities for everyone’s level of participation and interest.
“We are extremely excited to be doing this for the first time, especially on the Cape,” said Meridith Lasko, YMCA Cape Cod senior program director of membership and healthy living.
The weekend is free for Cape Cod residents, with a nominal fee for off-Cape participants.
Camp Lyndon is a 79-acre property that sits on Lawrence Pond, surrounded by trees with walking paths for exploring, and offers a variety of water activities.
“It’s a typical, nostalgic camp setting, which may bring you back in time a little bit,” said Lasko.
Schedule of Activities
Participants will check in Friday evening, attend a welcoming ceremony followed by dinner and a bonfire by the pond. S’mores anyone?
Saturday will be filled with optional activities for those who wish to participate, such as:
- Guided meditation
- Guided walks
- Mini-sessions of Reiki, massage, and other energy work.
- Paddle boarding led by Paddle for Recovery
- Low-impact exercise
- Megan Murphy of The Kindness Rocks Project will give a talk and assist you in creating your own inspirational rocks.
- Nutrition presentation.
While everyone is invited to participate in the many goings-on, it is not required.
“If you just want to get a lawn chair and enjoy the view or read a book, you are welcome to do that, too,” Lasko said. “You can do everything or nothing at all.”
Food vendors will provide various delights at all meals for the three-day program and the highlight will be a Cape Cod clambake on Saturday evening catered by Clambakes, Etc. There will be options of chicken or beef for those who don’t eat seafood, according to Lasko.
On Sunday, the retreat will end with a breakfast and the opportunity to share experiences and say good-byes to new and old friends.
- Cancer survivors can bring a caregiver (family member or friend) of their choice to enjoy the weekend with them.
- There is no charge for Cape Cod residents or their caregiver.
- The cost for non-Cape residents is $100 and their guest is $150, which includes all activities, meals, and lodging.
- Participants are welcome to stay on site for the weekend. Accommodations include rustic, shared cabins and tent sites if you choose to bring your own tent or RV. Bathroom and shower facilities are communal.
- You don’t have to commit to three days. You can participate in as much of the weekend or as little as you want.
- The weekend will be held rain or shine.
- You don’t have to be a member of the YMCA or an alum of the Livestrong Program, a free
12-week health and wellness program offered by the YMCA for cancer survivors.
- Registration is required and can be done by calling Meredith Lasko at 508-362-6500 ext. 130 or email at MLasko@ymcacapecod.org
“Our hope for the weekend is that cancer survivors and their caregivers will have a wonderful experience, have fun and relax,” said Lasko. “We want this to be a stress-free weekend.”