Dancing with the Docs to support Cape cancer patients
You’d better hustle if you want tickets for Dancing with the Docs.
The gala fundraiser at Willowbend Country Club on March 4 will showcase the dancing skills of 10 Cape Cod physicians, each paired with an experienced local dancer. Tickets are on sale now and they’re going fast.
The doctors have been practicing their moves since November, getting ready for the fundraiser for Cape Wellness Collaborative (CWC), a local nonprofit that provides free complementary, integrative therapies (including massage, acupuncture, Reiki and nutrition counseling) to people with cancer.
The dancers will be scored by a trio of judges, as well as online voting by the public via a special app, and they’ll also be competing to see which dancing pair can raise the most contributions for CWC. A recent video shows that the doctors are in it to win it.
“The doctors have been working really hard and they can’t wait to show off their moves,” said Sarah Swain, president of the CWC.
Dancing with the Docs will take place at Willowbend in Mashpee, starting at 6 p.m. Saturday, March 4.
Tickets for the formal, black tie event are $250 and include a cocktail reception and a gourmet dinner designed by Delicious Living Nutrition and the Willowbend culinary team. After the performances and a live auction, the dance floor will be open to all.
Auction items include vacations in Aruba and the Bahamas, Red Sox tickets, a private cooking lesson for four with Nicole Cormier of Delicious Living Nutrition, and a private book club brunch with Lisa Genova, author of “Still Alice” and other best-selling novels.
If you can’t make it to the Willowbend gala, you’ll still have a chance to watch the competition. A live feed of the show hosted by Sarah Colvin Nelson can be accessed through the Cape Wellness Collaborative web site and on C3TV.
Free viewing parties are being set up at several Cape restaurants or you can watch at home on Cape Cod Community Media (Channel 99).
Doctors and Judges
Here’s the lineup of doctors who will be taking part, along with their dance assignment and partner:
- Jennifer Crook, MD, oncologist (jazz, Alex Valentine)
- Kate Dalton, DO, surgeon (salsa, Tracy Anderson)
- Marc Fater, MD, plastic surgeon (rumba, Kimberlee McHugh)
- Patti Fater, MD, family practitioner (swing, Doug McHugh)
- Jose Fernandez, DC, chiropractor (waltz, Norah Dale Allen)
- Mary Ann Harwood, DO, emergency medicine (country western, Jodi Nolan)
- Jeffrey Martin, MD, oncologist (disco, Rebecca Terkelsen)
- Jill Oxley, MD, surgeon (foxtrot, Adam Spencer)
- Molly Sullivan, MD, oncologist (tango, Pam Wills)
- Darijan Suton, PhD, manager of employee wellness at Cape Cod Hospital (cha-cha, Debbie Israel)
Three judges will decide which of the doctors has displayed the most dazzling moves:
- Patrick Kane, Cape Cod Healthcare’s Senior VP of Marketing and Business Development.
- Christine Harvey, a dancer who has competed and taught in England, Europe and the United States, and is now a respected dance coach in Massachusetts.
- Scott Townsend, aka Thirsty Burlington, a celebrity impersonator who performs as Cher, Judy Garland and Michael Jackson.
CWC was founded in September 2014 and started serving clients about a year later. Since then it has provided over $50,000 in wellness therapies to 170 people facing cancer.
The recipients have responded with tremendous appreciation.
“Coming to terms with my cancer diagnosis was the scariest time in my life,” said a CWC client from Orleans. “Cape Wellness gave me peace of mind through their amazing practitioners, who helped me realize my body can heal more quickly when given extra support.”
“Never have I had a group acknowledge my struggle or help me in caring for myself like this,” said a CWC client from Centerville.
Two other CWC fundraisers are scheduled for later in the year: the Race to the Pint 5k and 10K race in Hyannis on April 22 and the Cape Cod Women’s Music Festival at the Cape Playhouse in Dennis on May 13.
Business sponsorships ($250 to $10,000) for the events are available.
For more information about Dancing with the Docs Cape Cod, visit the event’s website or Facebook page.