Cancer Care Team
Our Cancer Experts Focus on You
When you choose the Cape Cod Healthcare Regional Cancer Network for treatment, you get an entire team of experts focused on the right care for you.
What the Team Does
That team draws together medical professionals from multiple specialties, including:
- Board-certified doctors who specialize in radiation, medical and surgical oncology.
- Hematologists – specialize in blood cancers and disorders.
- Nurses with advanced training.
- Pathologists – examine laboratory samples of body tissue for precise cancer diagnosis.
- Dosimetrists and physicists – have expertise in the sophisticated machines and technology used in radiation oncology and work closely with radiation oncologists on your individual treatments.
- Registered dietitian - provides individualized medical nutrition therapy focused on food and nutrition education, meal planning and community resources to meet the specific nutrition needs during and after cancer treatment.
- Radiation therapists – are physicians who are expertly trained and experienced in the treatment of cancer using ionizing radiation.
- Medical therapists – are physicians who are expertly trained and experienced in diagnosing and treating cancer using chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, biological therapy and targeted therapy.
- Pharmacists – work closely with your doctors to ensure the proper dispensing of your treatment medications.
- Rehabilitation specialists - work with you to stay as strong as possible during your cancer treatment, and to recover as well as possible post-treatment.
- Social workers – are part of your care plan from the start, helping you manage other areas of your life throughout treatment.
- Financial navigators - help clarify insurance coverage issues and work with you to identify resources and information.
Team Conferences About Your Care
Your multidisciplinary team meets regularly to discuss your care and develop or revise your customized treatment plan. Surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, radiologists and pathologists meet weekly to quarterly to review cases. Depending on the type and stage of cancer, your team may recommend diagnostic, medical, radiation and surgical protocols, alone or in combination.
Experts from Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Partners Healthcare also attend these conferences, provide consultations and are available for second opinions.