3D Mammography: the gold standard for screening
An annual screening mammogram is the best way to detect breast cancer in its earliest stages when it can be treated effectively, beginning at age 40 for women of average risk. At Cape Cod Healthcare, we offer the latest digital technology of 3D mammography and a skilled team of breast imaging experts at our Women's Health Centers.
Facts about 3D Mammography
- 3D Mammography’s detail is similar to a CT Scan. Also known as digital breast tomosynthesis, it takes images of each breast from different angles and captures many thin layers of tissue. When images are re-constructed and combined with 2D mammography, they provide a clearer view of breast tissue compared to traditional 2D mammography alone.
- 3D mammography is more accurate. With its enhanced sensitivity, 3D mammography enables radiologists to better pinpoint the size, shape and location of abnormalities, reducing the need for call backs. Mammograms can show changes in the breast years before a patient or physician can feel them.
- 3D mammography detects more breast cancers as compared to 2D mammography alone and has improved the ability to detect invasive cancers.
- Women with dense breast tissue may especially benefit from 3D mammography, because of the clear picture it provides. We offer the Genius 3D Mammography Exam, the only mammogram that is FDA-approved as superior for women with dense breasts when compared to 2D mammography alone.
- 3D Mammography technology at Cape Cod Healthcare offers the fastest available scan time of less than 4 seconds, for better patient comfort.
- Radiation from an annual mammogram is a fraction of the average environmental exposure a person receives in a year.
- Cape Cod Healthcare provides the only 3D mammography on the Cape in Hyannis, Falmouth and Harwich.
Comprehensive breast care, close to home
3D mammography is one of the ways our Breast Care program provides women of Cape Cod and beyond access to comprehensive breast services, combining the latest technology with a dedicated team of breast care experts. At Cuda Women’s Health Center in Hyannis and Seifer Women’s Health and Imaging Center in Falmouth, we offer routine screening and diagnostic testing, breast MRI, hereditary cancer risk assessment and genetic testing, and a High-Risk Hereditary Cancer Program. Both centers are accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC).
Advanced care for breast cancer
Should a diagnosis confirm the presence of breast cancer, we offer access to a team of exceptional cancer experts, including breast surgeons, oncologists, radiation oncologists, and breast patient navigators, as well as nutrition, genetic counseling and other support services. Cape Cod Hospital is also a member of the Dana-Farber Cancer Care Collaborative.
- The support and survivorship program at Cape Cod Healthcare provides emotional and psychological support to breast cancer patients and their loved ones, while helping to plan for a life beyond cancer.
- Cape Cod Women's Cancer Prevention and Early Detection Fund provides assistance covering the cost of diagnostic testing not covered by health insurance, including 3D mammography, FAST breast MRI and genetic testing. For more information, please contact Linda Conroy from Cuda Women's Health Center at 508-957-1623.
- Breast cancer support groups offer a nurturing environment focused on emotional coping and healing, throughout any journey stage.
- Wellness Wise, Cape Cod Healthcare’s website resource for sustained well-being.
- Cape Wellness Collaborative offers free-of-charge integrative wellness therapies for people facing cancer.
- American Cancer Society provides detailed information about prevention, diagnosis, treatment, support and survivorship, including resources on breast cancer in men.