Fast Breast MRI
High-resolution breast imaging with our FAST Breast MRI is available as an additional breast cancer screening option at Cape Cod Healthcare – the first healthcare system in the state to offer this service. This method uses the strongest magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology available to produce a detailed series of scans at a fraction of the time and cost of a traditional MRI.
This screening utilizes MRI technology to provide a shorter version of a diagnostic breast MRI with comparable imaging quality. It provides a more detailed view of the breast and tissue abnormalities than traditional mammography, including vascular function within the breast which can show blood flow to and from a tumor. An abnormal FAST breast MRI result will be followed up with a diagnostic traditional MRI.
Benefits of a FAST Breast MRI
- FAST MRI can be performed as an extra level of screening in between routine mammograms or as a companion screening to a routine mammogram. It is a good tool to detect small tumors that may not be visible on a mammogram.
- It provides additional layer of testing for women who are diagnosed as having dense breast tissue. Per the Massachusetts Breast Density Notification Law, in effect since 2015, providers are required to inform women found to have dense breast tissue.
- FAST MRI can be instrumental in revealing particularly aggressive cancers. It detects tumors that are vascular and can grow quickly in between annual mammograms.
- The testing process takes under 5 minutes, compared to 40 minutes of a traditional MRI, is radiation-free and painless.
- Results are received within 48 hours.
- Learn more about clinical research supporting the use of FAST MRI: Rethinking Breast Cancer Screening: Ultra FAST Breast Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
Locations offering FAST Breast MRI
For your convenience, FAST Breast MRI is available at:
A referral from your physician is required prior to scheduling. FAST Breast MRI is not covered by most insurance and the out-of-pocket cost is $450. Financial assistance may be available for eligible women. FAST Breast MRI may not be right for everyone and traditional mammograms remain a viable option for women in accordance with their doctor’s advice.