Three-dimensional mammography, also known as digital breast tomosynthesis is one of the advanced technologies for breast cancer screening that is standard at Cape Cod Healthcare. It provides an enhanced view of the breast, allowing our skilled radiologists to detect abnormalities with greater detail.
Advanced imaging leads to earlier detection
3D mammography uses low dose X-ray to image each breast from different angles, capturing many pictures of thin layers or “slices” of tissue. These are then reconstructed to create three-dimensional images of the breasts. Traditional 2D mammography provides two X-rays of the breast, from top to bottom and angled side-to-side. With its advanced clarity and equipment that actually moves around the compressed breast, 3D mammography can uncover features otherwise hidden by tissue above or below each layer.
Cape Cod Healthcare utilizes the Genius 3D Mammography Exam™, which offers the fastest available mammography scan time.
Benefits of a 3D mammogram
- With 3D mammography, the cancer detection rate is increased, finding an additional 1 to 2 cases per 1000.
- 3D imaging is proven to detect 41% more invasive breast cancers, when compared to traditional 2D mammography.
- Because 3D mammography can find breast cancer early, it can be treated more rapidly and with better results.
- The recall rate for exams is reduced by approximately 2% overall.
- Although 3D Mammography has improved accuracy in screening for all breast densities, it is has been found to be an especially important screening method for women with dense breasts. Per the Massachusetts Breast Density Notification Law, in effect since 2015, providers are required to inform women found to have dense breast tissue.
Available at 3 convenient locations
For your convenience, breast imaging services are available at our two modern and comfortable Women’s Health Centers:
Additionally, 3D Mammography is available at Fontaine Outpatient Center in Harwich.