Maintaining your breast health requires a specialized approach to care including routine screening, breast cancer prevention education, risk assessment and genetic counseling, diagnosis, and if needed, treatment and care coordination.
Cape Cod Healthcare’s Breast Care program partners you with expert physicians and dedicated services to navigate this process, utilizing the latest in technology and diagnostic expertise.
Comprehensive breast imaging services
Our goal is to identify, diagnose and treat patients at risk for breast cancer, utilizing some of the most advanced methods available. With these tools, our board-certified breast imaging radiologists are skilled at pinpointing even the smallest abnormalities in breast tissue, whether imaging is conducted for routine screening or to diagnose a suspected area of concern:
- 3D Digital mammography: Routine screening mammograms are the best way to detect breast cancer in its earliest stages when it can be treated effectively. 3D Mammography (also known as breast tomosynthesis) provides an enhanced multi-layered view of breast tissue and detects abnormalities with greater clarity.
- Breast ultrasound: Using high-frequency sound waves to produce a digital image of tissue, this imaging aids in diagnosing a specific area of concern, without the use of radiation or an incision.
- Breast biopsy: For this type of diagnostic test, a radiologist uses imaging (stereotactic mammography, MRI or ultrasound) as a guide to pinpoint and retrieve a tissue sample if there is a specific area of concern. We use the advanced Breverra system which provides instant imaging access for stereotactic biopsies.
- Breast MRI: Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) technology is a non-invasive type of imaging that provides clear, highly-detailed views of tissue using a powerful magnetic field. It is an additional diagnostic tool to detect masses not visible on a mammogram, particularly in patients with dense breast tissue. This screen is offered at both Cape Cod Hospital and Falmouth Hospital. Additionally, we offer 3T MRI, the most powerful MRI technology south of Boston, for enhanced clarity, speed and patient comfort at the Cuda Women’s Health Center in Hyannis.
- FAST Breast MRI: An advanced way to find breast abnormalities between mammograms or for dense breasts, the FAST MRI takes 3–5 minutes and will alert our radiologists to any concerns requiring a follow up MRI.
State-of-the-art women’s imaging services, close to home
For your convenience, breast imaging services are available at our two modern and comfortable Women’s Health Centers:
Our centers are both accredited by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC), a program of the American College of Surgeons. This designation is only given to breast centers that have voluntarily committed to provide the highest level of quality breast care, including a rigorous evaluation process and performance review. Receiving care at a NAPBC-accredited center ensures that a patient will have access to:
- Comprehensive care, including a full range of state-of-the-art services.
- A multidisciplinary team approach to coordinate the best treatment options.
- Information about ongoing clinical trials and new treatment options.
- Quality care close to home.
Additionally, Cuda Women's Health Center and Seifer Women's Health and Imaging Center have each been designated by the American College of Radiology (ACR) as a "Breast Center of Excellence" for achieving excellence via the ACR's voluntary breast accreditation program, as well as the mandatory Mammography Accreditation Program.
For patient convenience, 3D Mammography is also available at Fontaine Outpatient Center in Harwich.
Specialized program for high-risk patients
Every patient is offered a comprehensive hereditary cancer risk assessment at the time of a screening mammogram or diagnostic imaging, incorporating family and personal history. This hereditary cancer risk survey can also be completed online from the privacy of your own home. On-site genetic counseling and testing are available, and if high familial risk or genetic mutation for breast or ovarian cancer are present, patients are automatically enrolled in our High-Risk Hereditary Cancer Program. These patients will receive more intensive screening for breast cancer and other types of cancer, and may be considered for additional medical management.
Advanced care for breast cancer
Should a diagnosis confirm the presence of breast cancer, you have access to a team of exceptional cancer experts, including breast surgeons, oncologists, radiation oncologists, and breast patient navigators, as well as nutrition, genetic counseling and other support services.
Additional resources for women
Learn more about important women’s health topics at these trusted sources: