Urgent Need for O Negative Blood at Cape Cod Hospital
(Hyannis, Aug. 29, 2019) The Cape Cod Hospital Blood Bank is in urgent need of O negative blood donors. While all blood types are needed on a regular basis, there is currently a shortage of O Negative, in particular.
Those with O Negative blood are considered “universal donors,” since the blood can be transfused to almost any patient in need, regardless of their blood type. This puts O Negative donors in the unique position to help people who are in critical need of blood.
Upcoming blood drives include:
- Wednesday, Sept. 4: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Riverview School at 551 Route 6A in Sandwich
- Friday, Sept. 6: 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Woods Hole Science Aquarium, 166 Water Street, Woods Hole
- Saturday, Sept. 10: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank, 514 Station Avenue, Yarmouth
- Wednesday, Sept. 11: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Sons of Erin, 633 Route 28, West Yarmouth
- Thursday, Sept. 12: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at First Lutheran Church, 1663 Main Street, West Barnstable
Donations can also be made at the Nicholas G. Xiarhos Blood Donor Center at Cape Cod Hospital. The Donor Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. To make an appointment to donate blood or to find an upcoming blood drive in your area, please visit www.capecodhealth.org/give-Blood.
Cape Cod Healthcare is the leading provider of healthcare services for residents and visitors of Cape Cod. With more than 450 physicians, 5,300 employees and 790 volunteers, Cape Cod Healthcare has two acute care hospitals, the Cape’s leading provider of homecare and hospice services (VNA), a skilled nursing and rehabilitation facility, an assisted living facility, and numerous health programs. For more information, visit Cape Cod Healthcare’s web site at www.capecodhealth.org. Cape Cod Healthcare. Visit our health news site www.capecodhealthnews.com for the latest in relevant and credible healthcare news.