Parking Lot Safety
Date: October 7, 2019
To: All Cape Cod Hospital Employees and Volunteers
From: Frank Riccio, Director Security and Emergency Preparedness
Re: Parking Lot Safety
I am writing to inform you of an incident that occurred this weekend in which one of our employees was involved in an attempted robbery as he was walking to the employee parking lot to retrieve something from his vehicle. Fortunately, the employee was not harmed but this is a matter we are taking very seriously.
We have been in communication with local law enforcement who have agreed to increase their presence in and near our employee lots during the evening hours. Further, while our security staff is unable to provide an around-the-clock presence in the lots, we will be increasing our rounding in these areas during shift changes and we will be working to ensure needed escorts are more readily available.
Security cameras and Emergency Call Boxes are currently installed within the parking lot and we have improved the lighting in recent years. However, I will be leading a full assessment of our security measures when it comes to parking lot safety. Some immediate actions that will take place include:
- We will be installing additional Emergency Call Boxes throughout the parking lot and will be painting the poles to which they are mounted so they are more conspicuous
- We will be installing additional security cameras
- We will be installing new fencing around the perimeter to fully enclose the lot
The Emergency Call Boxes can be used in an emergency to allow employees to reach the Security Desk for immediate assistance. In addition to the Emergency Call Boxes, there are phone stations located at the main entrance of the lot and on the side of the Engineering Building.
Finally, I have become aware of claims being made about numerous car break-ins in the employee parking lot. The Security Office has only received one report of an incident, which involved an unlocked vehicle. If there have been other incidents, please report these to me.
Maintaining security in our lots is very important to us but we need the help of the entire community to keep our employees, patients, visitors, and vehicles safe. The following tips are provided to help us all stay safe in the parking lots:
- Always try to walk with someone else when you go to your car (contact Security if you need an escort). If you have to walk alone, stay in well-lit areas and away from hiding spots such as bushes and doorways.
- Always be alert to your surroundings. Walk with confidence. Keep your head up and look around.
- Do not wear headphones or be distracted by cell phone conversations.
- Do not approach someone if they are loitering near your vehicle. Walk to a safe place and contact Security.
- Do not dig in your purse or bag.
- Be prepared when you leave the hospital or when you leave your car for work. Have your keys to unlock the vehicle and your badge to unlock building doors.
- Lock your car and keep your valuables out of sight. Always lock them in your trunk if you have to leave them in your car.
- Lock the doors and roll up windows once you are in your vehicle.
- Trust your instincts when you feel something is not right.
- Report all incidents and unusual activity to Security.
Thank you for your attention and partnership in helping to keep our campus a safe place to work.