Awards and Recognition
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts has named Falmouth Hospital and Cape Cod Hospital, each, as a “Blue Distinction Center for Knee and Hip Replacement®.” The Blue Distinction Centers for Specialty Care® program is a national designation awarded by Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies to medical facilities that have demonstrated expertise in delivering quality specialty care. The program expanded recently to include more robust quality measures focused on improved patient health and safety, as well as new cost-efficiency measures.
The selection criteria used to evaluate facilities were developed with input from the medical community and include general quality and safety metrics plus program-specific metrics.
CCH and FH are two of 540 Blue Distinction Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement® in 45 states. Selection criteria included:
- An established knee and hip replacement program performing required annual volumes.
- An experienced knee and hip replacement surgical team.
- Full accreditation by a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services-deemed organization.
- A comprehensive quality management program.
- Clinical outcomes that meet objective thresholds for specific procedures, such as complication rates and lengths of stay.
Research confirms that the newly designated Blue Distinction Centers® demonstrate better quality and improved outcomes for patients, with lower rates of complications and readmissions than their peers. Blue Distinction Centers® are also more than 20 percent more cost-efficient. The program provides consumers with tools to help them make better informed healthcare decisions. These results will also enable employers, working with their local Blue Plan, to tailor benefits to meet their individual quality and cost objectives. The selection criteria used in designating the Centers for Knee and Hip Replacement were developed in collaboration with expert physicians and medical organizations.