Hospitalists (Hospital-based Physicians)
Providing high quality care for hospitalized patients.
At times, your Primary Care Physician may have difficulty following you in the hospital because the Cape’s unique geography makes timely travel difficult. Additionally, physicians often have a full schedule of patients during practice hours. For these reasons, Cape Cod Healthcare has introduced the Hospitalist program at Cape Cod Hospital and Falmouth Hospital. A hospitalist program is a proven and successful way to provide high quality care for hospitalized patients. If you have no local primary care or are visiting the Cape, the hospitalist group is here to care for your medical needs.
The Hospitalist is an extension of your physician, not a replacement, and consults with your physician on aspects of your care. Your physician also shares their knowledge of your case with the hospitalist team so as to allow them to provide you with the best care possible.
Any needed sub-specialists, depending on your condition, can also be consulted at the request of your Hospitalists.
Your Hospitalist also has access to all Cape Cod Healthcare tests and records, and any hospital stays you have experienced in the past.
Cape Cod Hospital and Falmouth Hospital Hospitalist physicians are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. this “24 hour” coverage allows you or your family to communicate with a physician at any time of day or night and gives you the added comfort that your hospitalist team is always on hand to care for any problems that may arise.
When you are discharged from the hospital, your Hospitalist will communicate with your physician about ongoing treatment needs, including follow- up treatments, medication, rehabilitation and home health. if you do not have a local physician, your Hospitalist will even help you find one.
Contacting a Hospitalist
Remember there is always a physician in house to help with your needs, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Cape Cod Hospital
- Please call 508-862-5976 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- In an emergency/holiday or weekend, the Hospitalist can be paged through the Cape Cod Hospital operator, 508-771-1800.
- Please call 508-457-3748 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- In an emergency/holiday or weekend, the Hospitalist can be paged through the Falmouth Hospital operator, 508-548-5300.
Hospital-based physicians are board-certified/ eligible, highly qualified, experienced and considered specialists in hospital medicine. They are selected specifically for their ability to provide quality and compassionate patient care. Our Hospitalists are all general internal medicine physicians.
- The hospitalist physician will direct your care, obtain consultations with subspecialist doctors when needed, monitor test results, and quickly respond to changes in your condition. He or she will also discuss treatment options with you, answer all of your questions, and inform your primary care physician.
- Hospitalists work together as a TEAM to provide safe, efficient, and compassionate care to all our patients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Because this would be impossible for one person to accomplish alone, you may be cared for by more than one hospitalist during your stay. We try very hard however, to keep patient care continuity intact.
- Communication with your Primary Care Physician will occur throughout your hospital admission. Your PCP will be notified when you have been admitted to the hospital. At discharge, a detailed summary of your course and future care plan will be sent to your PCP.