Heart Disease is the #1 Cause of Death of Women in the U.S.
Did you know that…
- A woman dies from heart disease every 34 seconds.
- One in five females in the U.S. have some form of heart disease.
- Over 35% of American women are overweight.
- Over 25% of American women smoke.
- Heart disease claims more women’s lives than the next 3 causes of death combined…including all forms of cancer.
- Nearly 5 times as many women (200,000) will die from heart attacks alone this year than will die from breast cancer.
- Since 1984, more women than men have died of heart disease each year.
- Most women begin to develop heart disease at a very young age.
- Women have a 28% increased risk of dying as compared to men to die within the first year after a heart attack.
CVD Risk Factors for Women
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Being overweight
- Physical inactivity
- A family history of early heart disease
- Age (55 or older for women)
- Avoid Tobacco
- Be More Active
- Choose Good Nutrition
- Know Your Blood Pressure
- Know Your Cholesterol
- Maintain a healthy weight