What is it like to work as an RN at Cape Cod Healthcare?
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is Cape Cod Healthcare?
- Cape Cod Hospital
- Falmouth Hospital
- Medical Affiliates of Cape Cod - Specialty, primary care and urgent care locations
- Emerald Physicians - Primary Care Practices
- JML Care Center Long Term Care & Rehab Facility
- Heritage at Falmouth, Assisted Living Facility
What is the culture like at Cape Cod Healthcare?
CCHC fosters a teamwork environment with a commitment to continuing education and career advancement.
How does Cape Cod Healthcare support nurses' continued learning and professional development?
- We offer CEUs (Continuing Education Units) through Nursing Grand Rounds and other initiatives.
- We also offer trainings into specialty nursing areas (OR/CCU/EC.)
How does Cape Cod Healthcare recognize its employees?
All entities host a variety of recognition and appreciation events, such as cookouts, dessert buffets and outings. Additional events are:
- Employee Recognition: Employee of the Month
- Service Awards to recognize all employees for length of service
- Major sponsor for Falmouth Road Race
- Sponsored the Making Strides against Breast Cancer Walk
- Bi-monthly Employee Blood Drives
- Annual Holiday Parties
How does the hospital handle the influx of business in the summer?
- The biggest volume shift is in the Emergency Center
- We staff accordingly with travelers (RNs) and temps (Support Staff)
Is it expected that we work OT or short staffed in nursing?
- We are very proactive in staffing to avoid this. If it occurs, shifts are generally picked up with voluntary OT and extra time.
- We also have a dedicated staffing department to handle the nursing departments.
Do I have to become part of the union if I am offered a position?
Yes, if it is a union position. You will receive more information about this if an offer for a position is extended.
What is the commitment for per diem?
- This is specific to entity.
- Hospitals, specifically:
- 4 shifts in a 4-week time schedule
- 2 of the 4 being weekends
- One of the three major summer holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor Day)
- One of the three major winter holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day)
As an employee, is it easy to switch from one facility to another?
Employees who are interested in a position for which they are qualified are encouraged to apply for that position.
Can you tell me more about the VNA?
The VNA is the leader in homecare and hospice. They provide an array of services to keep patients safe, healthy and independent in their own home including:
- In-home skilled care
- Hospice and palliative care
- Private services
- Public health and wellness
- Adult day health
Are there nursing positions available outside of the hospital?
Yes. The VNA, JML , Emerald Physicians and Medical Affiliates of Cape Cod often have openings for RNs.
What are the benefits offered?
Benefits are based on schedule/status: Full-time or Part-Time.
What are the general times of hospital shifts?
- Days: 7 a.m. -3 p.m.
- Evenings: 3 p.m. -11 p.m.
- Nights: 11 p.m.-7 a.m.
How is salary determined?
Salary is based on experience and position.
I've applied online before, but haven't been contacted. Why not?
Cape Cod Healthcare receives thousands of applications during the course of the year, these are reviewed and those most qualified for a particular position are contacted.
Do you supply the uniforms?
Each department handles uniform supply differently.
How much computer work is involved in the RN role?
Cape Cod Healthcare has electronic medical records; all documentation is done through the computer.
I'm entry-level, what position suits my skills?
- Our hiring practice is to hire the most qualified candidate
- The required and preferred qualifications are listed on every role
- Cape Cod Healthcare periodically has Novice programs for new RNs. You may find more information about the program here.