Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
|Thoracic Outlet Syndrome|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Defects in nearby structures
- Poor posture
- Repetitive arm or shoulder movement
- Having an abnormal first rib
- Poor posture
- Repetitive motion
- Arm or hand pain
- Arm or hand weakness
- Numbness and tingling
- Cold sensitivity in the hands and fingers
- Pain or sores of the fingers
- Poor blood circulation to the arm, hands, and fingers
- Swelling of the limb
- Skin of arm turning pale and blue
- Blood tests
- Electromyography and nerve other conduction tests
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Muscle relaxers
- Blood thinners
- Avoid activity that causes pain
- Practice good posture
- Avoid repetitive motion
- Change your workstation layout
- If you are overweight, talk to your doctor about how you can lose weight
- Exercise regularly to improve strength, flexibility and range of motion
Occupational Safety & Health Administration https://www.osha.gov
The Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma (NISMAT) http://www.nismat.org
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) http://www.ccohs.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Crotti FM, Carai A, Carai M, et al. TOS pathophysiology and clinical features. Acta Neurochir Suppl . 2005;92:7-12.
Huang JH, Zager EL. Thoracic outlet syndrome. Neurosurgery . 2004;55:897-902.
Nord KM, Kapoor P, Fisher J, et al. False positive rate of thoracic outlet syndrome diagnostic maneuvers. Electromyography Clinical Neurophysiology . 2008;48:67-74.
Sanders RJ, Hammond SL, Rao NM. Diagnosis of thoracic outlet syndrome. J Vasc. Surg . 2007;46:601-604.
Thoracic outlet syndrome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00336 . Updated January 2011. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Thoracic outlet syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated May 21, 2013. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Thoracic outlet syndrome. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm . Updated December 28, 2011. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Wehbe M, Leinberry C. Current trends in treatment of thoracic outlet syndrome. Hand Clin . 2004;20:119-121.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013
- Update Date: 05/11/2013