(Lymph Node Infection; Lymph Gland Infection; Lymph Node Inflammation; Lymph Gland Inflammation)
|Swollen Lymph Nodes|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Having one of the causes of lymphadenitis
- Close contact with someone who has one of the causes of lymphadenitis
- Age: 12 or younger
- Contact with animals, specifically cats, rats, or cow
- Swollen, painful, tender, or hard lymph nodes/glands
- The skin over a node is red and warm to the touch
Fever with the following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Heavy perspiration
- Rapid pulse
- General weakness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty breathing
- Neck stiffness
- Complete blood cell (CBC) count
- Blood culture
- Biopsy of the lymph node
- Antibiotics to control infection
Anti-inflammatory medications to help reduce inflammation and swelling; aspirin may be recommended for adults.
- Note: Aspirin is not recommended for children or teens with a current or recent viral infection. This is because of the risk of Reye's syndrome. Ask your doctor which other medicines are safe for your child.
- Other treatments specific to the diagnosis
- Seek prompt treatment of bacterial and viral infections. Contact your doctor at the first signs of infection.
Take steps to prevent getting an infection:
- Practice good hygiene practices, such as washing your hands regularly.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Eat a healthful diet that is low in saturated fat and rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
National Institutes of Health http://www.nlm.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Healthy U http://www.healthyalberta.com
Lymphadenopathy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated November 19, 2012. Accessed April 3, 2013.
Lymphadenitis/lymphadenopathy. Children's Healthcare of Atlanta website. Available at: http://www.choa.org/Menus/Documents/Wellness/teachingsheets/lymphade.pdf. Accessed April 3, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012
- Update Date: 03/18/2013