Small Bowel Bacterial Overgrowth
(SBBO; Bacterial Overgrowth, Small Bowel; Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth; SIBO; Bacterial Overgrowth, Small Intestine)
|The Small Intestines|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Birth defect
- Conditions (eg, digestive disorder)
- Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Short bowel syndrome
- Intestinal stricture (narrowing in the small intestine)
- Digestive disorders (eg, celiac disease , lactose intolerance )
- Blind loop syndrome (when part of the intestine is bypassed)
- Intestinal infection (eg, food poisoning , traveler’s diarrhea )
- Chronic pancreatitis
- End-stage kidney or liver disease
- Intestinal surgery (eg, removal of part of the small intestine )
- An obstruction in the small intestine
- Weakened immune system
- Being elderly (more likely to have conditions like diverticulitis)
- Ask about your symptoms and medical history
- Do a physical exam
Order tests, such as:
- Blood tests to detects nutritional deficiencies (eg, anemia , B12 deficiency )
- Breath tests—involves fasting, eating some type of sugar, and then exhaling into a bag; the sample is analyzed to find out if there are levels of certain gases
- Culture of intestinal fluid (aspirate)—a catheter is used to get a sample of fluid from the small bowel
- Reduce the levels of harmful bacteria in the small bowel
- Treat the underlying condition
- Work with a dietitian
- Follow a special diet (eg, carbohydrate-restricted diet)
- Take supplements (eg, iron , vitamin B12 )
- Take probiotics
American Gastroenterological Association http://www.gastro.org/
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/index.htm
Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org/
Canadian Digestive Health Foundation http://www.cdhf.ca/main.php/
Aaron S. Malabsorption. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/ . Updated September 20, 2010. Accessed May 12, 2011.
Bacterial overgrowth syndrome. Merck Manual website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec02/ch017/ch017b.html . Updated January 2008. Accessed May 12, 2011.
Bures J, Cyrany J, Kohoutova D, et al. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome. World J Gastroenterol. 2010;16(24):2978–2990.
Dibaise J, Young R, Vanderhoof J. Enteric microbial flora, bacterial overgrowth, and short-bowel syndrome. University of South Alabama Gastroenterology Continuing Education website. Available at: http://usagiedu.com/articles/sibo/sibo.pdf . Published 2006. Accessed May 12, 2011.
Lactose and glucose hydrogen breath test. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/lactose%5Fintolerence/hic%5Flactose%5Fand%5Fglucose%5Fhydrogen%5Fbreath%5Ftest.aspx . Updated November 25, 2008. Accessed May 12, 2011.
Lin H. Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. JAMA. 2004;292(7):852-858.
McCoy K. Short bowel syndrome. EBSCO Health Library website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/healthLibrary/ . Updated September 20, 2010. Accessed May 12, 2011.
Parrish C. Nutritional consequences of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. University of Virginia, School of Medicine website. Available at: http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/medicine/divisions/digestive-health/nutrition-support-team/nutrition-articles/DiBaiseArticle.pdf . Published December 2008. Accessed May 12, 2011.
Small bowel bacterial overgrowth—another cause for IBS symptoms. Tennessee Society of Gastroenterology Nurses and Associates website. Available at: http://www.tsgna.org/Power.../Small%20Bowel%20Bacterial%20Overgrowth.doc . Accessed May 12, 2011.
Small bowel bacterial overgrowth overview. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/small%5Fbowel%5Fbacterial%5Fovergrowth/dd%5Foverview.aspx . Accessed May 12, 2011.
Vanderhoof J, Young R. Bacterial overgrowth. The Oley Foundation website. Available at: http://www.oley.org/lifeline/bacter.html . Accessed May 12, 2011.
Vanderhoof J, Young R, Murray N, Kaufman SS. Treatment strategies for small bowel bacterial overgrowth in short bowel syndrome. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1998;27(2):155-160.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013