(Anaphylactoid Purpura; HSP; Vascular Purpura)
- Bacterial or viral infections
- Certain medications
- Recent exposure to certain vaccines
- Infection by insect bites
- Recent upper respiratory illness, such as a cold
- Recent exposure to vaccines, chemicals, cold weather, or insect bites
- Reddish-purple spots that can be felt and are not itchy
- Often appears on the buttocks or legs, may appear on the elbows
- Red spots of various sizes
- Bruising, usually below the waist
- Pain in the joints, especially knees and ankles
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in the urine caused by kidney inflammation
- Swelling of the ankles
- Swelling of the scrotum in males
- Blood in the stool
- Blood tests
- Stool sample
- Skin biopsy from an area of the rash
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)—to lessen joint pain and arthritis
- Steroid medication—for significant abdominal pain, joint pain, or kidney disease
- Antibiotics—to treat bacterial infection
- Cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan)—to suppress the immune system when you have symptoms of severe kidney disease
American Academy of Family Physicians http://www.familydoctor.org
American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association http://www.aarda.org
Caring for Kids http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca
College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Dillon MJ. Henoch-Schonlein purpura (treatment and outcome). Cleve Clin J Med. 2002;69(Suppl 2):SII121-SII123.
Henoch-Schonlein purpura. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease website. Updated September 7, 2012. Available at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/HSP. Accessed November 13, 2012.
Henoch-Schonlein purpura. National Institute of Health Office of Rare Disease Research website. Available at: http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/GARD/Condition/8204/HenochSchonlein%5Fpurpura.aspx/Print. Accessed August 6, 2013.
Kraft D, McKee D, et al. Henoch-Schonlein purpura: a review. Am Fam Physician. 1998 Aug 1;58(2):405-408. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0801/p405.html. Accessed November 13, 2012.
Ronkainen J, Koskimies O, et al. Early prednisone therapy in Henoch-Schonlein purpura: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Pediatr. 2006;149:241-247.
Saulsbury FT. Epidemiology of Henoch-Schonlein purpura. Cleve Clin J Med. 2002;69(Suppl 2):SII87-SII89.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013
- Update Date: 05/11/2013