(Weil's Disease; Icterohemorrhagic Fever; Swineherd's Disease; Rice-Field Fever; Cane-Cutter Fever; Swamp Fever; Mud Fever; Hemorrhagic Jaundice; Stuttgart Disease; Canicola Fever)
- Swimmers in lakes, rivers, and streams
- Workers in flood plains
- Workers in wet agricultural settings
- People who have pets, particularly dogs or livestock
- People who work with the land, including farmers, ranchers, loggers, and rice-field workers
- People who work with animals, including veterinarians
- Blood tests
- Cultures or other laboratory tests
- Reduce contact with soil, vegetation, and water that could possibly be contaminated with infected animal urine, including urine from rodents.
- If working with materials that could potentially be contaminated, wear protective clothing that covers the skin, including waterproof boots or waders.
- If working in an especially high-risk area, talk to your doctor about beginning antibiotic treatment before potential exposure.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
World Health Organization http://www.who.int
Capital Health http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Ellis T, Imrie A, et al. Underrecognition of leptospirosis during a dengue fever outbreak in Hawaii, 2001-2002. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2008;8(4):541-547.
Hartskeerl RA, Collares-Pereira M, et al. Emergence, control and re-emerging leptospirosis: dynamics of infection in the changing world. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17(4):494-501.
Katz AR, Buchholz AE, et al. Leptospirosis in Hawaii, USA, 1999-2008. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17(2):221-226.
Leptospirosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/leptospirosis. Updated June 24, 2013. Accessed August 5, 2013.
Leptospirosis (Weil's disease). New York State Department of Health website. Available at: http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/leptospirosis/fact%5Fsheet.htm. Updated October 2011. Accessed August 5, 2013.
Stern EJ, Galloway R, et al. Outbreak of leptospirosis among Adventure Race participants in Florida, 2005. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50(6):843-849.
- Reviewer: Lawrence Frisch, MD, MPH; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013
- Update Date: 05/11/2013