Screening for Alzheimer’s Disease
Screening Tests or Guidelines
- Neurological exam—to test the nervous system (brain, spinal cord, nerves, and muscles) for evidence of other neurological disorders
- Wechsler's Logical Memory and Visual Reproduction and Kendrick Object Learning Test—may be used if you have symptoms of depression
- Seven-Minute Screen
- Mini-Mental State Exam
- Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MoCA)
- Memory Impairment Screening
- Self-assessment cognitive test—this is a test that you take on your own to assess your memory
Alzheimer's disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated August 19, 2013. Accessed September 6, 2013.
Alzheimer's disease medications fact sheet. National Institute on Aging website. Available at: http://www.nia.nih.gov/Alzheimers/Publications/medicationsfs.htm . Updated July 22, 2013. Accessed September 6, 2013.
Know the 10 signs. Alzheimer’s Association website. Available at: http://www.alz.org/alzheimers%5Fdisease%5F10%5Fsigns%5Fof%5Falzheimers.asp . Accessed September 6, 2013.
Drago V, et al. Disease tracking markers for Alzheimer’s disease at the prodromal (MCI) stage. J Alzhemier’s Dis. 2011;26 Suppl 3:159-199.
Hampel H, et al. Biomarker’s for Alzheimer’s disease: academic, industry and regulatory perspectives. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2010;9(7):560-74.
Roalf DR, Moberg PJ, Xie SX, et al. Comparative accuracies of two common screening instruments for classification of Alzheimer’s disease , mild cognitive impairment, and healthy aging. Alzheimers Dement. 2012; Dec 20. [Epub ahead of print]
Wolk DA, Klunk W. Update on amyloid imaging: from healthy aging to Alzheimer's disease. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2009;9(5):345-352.
7/6/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us : Brown J, Pengas G, Dawson K, Brown LA, Clatworthy P. Self administered cognitive screening test (TYM) for detection of Alzheimer's disease: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2009;338:b2030.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013
- Update Date: 09/30/2013