Cape Cod Hospital Volunteering
Make a difference in the lives of our patients.
Like the original group of concerned citizens who began our community hospital in 1919, our volunteers continue a tradition that binds us together as a family. In addition to the sense of accomplishment and personal gratification that volunteering at Cape Cod Hospital provides, there is also the opportunity to learn new skills, meet new people, contribute to the community, and to learn about current healthcare issues.
The Volunteer department is dedicated to providing the highest quality of service and support. We respect the dignity, individuality, and diversity of our patients, visitors, and colleagues. We are committed to providing compassionate, well-trained and resourceful individuals who offer quality assistance and customer service.
The following are the requirements needed for volunteering:
- Applicants must be at least 15 years old at time of application
- Able to volunteer a minimum of 4 hours a week according to an assigned schedule
- Request an application, complete it, and schedule an interview with the Manager of Volunteer Services
At the interview, further instructions will be provided on how to complete the following health and safety requirements:
- (2) Tuberculosis skin tests administered by our Employee Health Office
- Physician’s Health Clearance form signed by your physician that you are able to perform the assigned duties
- Background check (CORI)
- Attendance at day-long Orientation Class
Student/Summer Volunteer Program*
Students are encouraged to volunteer at Cape Cod Hospital during July and August. Students must be at least 15 years old at the time of application. Volunteering at a hospital is most beneficial for those considering a career in healthcare.
Our summer volunteers are assigned to either Errands or Patient Transport, providing students direct interact with patients and staff in various departments throughout the hospital. Returning, experienced student volunteers may also have the opportunity to volunteer in the emergency center, out-patient registration, surgical day care, or information desk, based upon the operational needs of the hospital at that time.
The minimum time commitment for all summer volunteers is two 4-hour shifts per week, same times and days each week, assigned according to hospital needs. Shift times are either mornings from 8am to noon or afternoons from noon to 4pm. We allow up to two weeks off during the entire summer for vacations, sports camps, etc. The minimum commitment required for each student participating in the summer volunteer program is 6 weeks and/or 48 hours (i.e. 6 weeks of volunteering, 8 hours per week).
Applications for the 2017 summer volunteer program are sent out, upon request, starting Monday, February 13, 2017, until our annual summer quota of student applicants is reached. To request an application, simply click on the “Apply to become a volunteer” tab and fill in and submit the “Request a Volunteer Application” form. Receiving an application package does not guarantee placement in the program. We make every effort to accommodate as many students as we can on a first come, first served basis.
Volunteer assignments are based upon the volunteer positions we currently have open within the hospital and the volunteer’s ability to perform the duties required. Many volunteer assignments require an additional interview by department management before your placement is confirmed.
Depending upon availability at the time, we have volunteers assigned to the following areas/departments: (See “Student Volunteer Program” above for list of summer volunteer assignments.)
- Patient Transport
- Pastoral Care
- Surgical Day Care
- Emergency Center
- Breast Care Center
- Cancer Resource Center
- Information Desk
- CVPA Reception Desk
- Blood Donor Services
- Lab Services Reception Area
- Out-Patient Registration
* Deadline for requesting an application for our summer student volunteer program is April 15th. However, please be advised that due to the popularity of our summer program, our quota of students is usually reached before this date. Also, due to the influx of student volunteers during the summer, there is a moratorium on adult, non-student application requests from April 1 - August 1.