Mammography uses low-dose X-rays to make a picture of breast tissue. Many times this method can reveal lumps before they can be felt during a clinical examination.
Breast Cancer Screening & Diagnosis
Mammograms can detect conditions in breast tissue that may require further testing, including:
- Calcium deposits in ducts or other tissue
- Masses or lumps
- Dense areas appearing in the breast
- Any suspicious change in breast tissue density since your last mammogram
Mammograms are an important tool in the detection of breast cancer. They are done:
- As a screening test in women without symptoms
- As a diagnostic test to help make a diagnosis in women who have symptoms of possible breast cancer
- To help determine the size and location of a lump before breast biopsy or surgery
At Cape Cod Healthcare, mammograms are one of a range of breast care services devoted to keeping women in our community healthy and well. Mammography services can be found at Seifer Women's Health and Imaging Center at Falmouth Hospital, Cuda Women's Health Center in Hyannis and at Fontaine Outpatient Center in Harwich.
Schedule a Mammogram
To schedule a mammogram or for help finding a physician, call our Access Line at 877-CAPECOD or email us today.
Learn More About Mammograms
Explore additional information about mammography in our online Health Library or from RadiologyInfo.org.