What is Cancer Rehabilitation?
Cancer rehabilitation, also known as cancer rehab or oncology rehabilitation, consists of services and therapies designed to improve strength and restore functioning following cancer. Cape Cod Healthcare currently offers oncology rehabilitation at Falmouth Hospital as part of our commitment to caring for you as a whole person at all stages of treatment and recovery. The program will soon be available at Cape Cod Hospital.
How Oncology Rehabilitation Helps You
Our services help you achieve goals, rebuild skills and recover motion, muscle control, strength and independence. We use specific interventions to increase, improve or manage:
- Mobility, including scar management techniques for supple, pain-free mobility in affected areas
- Muscle strength, function and endurance
- Skin sensitivity
- Communication skills
- Swallowing function
If you’ve experienced one or more of the following issues, you can benefit from oncology rehabilitation.
- Loss of mobility/tightness
- Postural deficits
- Loss of strength
- Decreased ability to perform daily activities
- Tight, painful or thickened scars
- Difficulty talking/slurred speech
- Decreased sensation and/or hypersensitivity
- Difficulty swallowing or eating
- Decreased ability to participate in sports or hobbies
Our rehabilitation centers offer a full suite of rehabilitation services, including physical, occupational and speech therapy. Additional services are available through the YMCA, such as aquatic exercise for breast cancer patients.