Lifeblood of Cape Cod
- About 1 in every 7 people entering a hospital needs blood.
- Cape Cod Hospital alone performs more than 7,000 blood transfusions a year.
- Falmouth Hospital performs another 3,000 transfusions.
- Blood products are used for elective and emergency surgery, anemia, cancer, bleeding disorders and massive blood loss due to trauma.
- Red blood cells have a shelf life of only 35 days, so they must be constantly replenished.
- One pint of blood can save up to 2 lives.
- There is no substitute for human blood.