HOW IT WORKS FOR YOU
The Healthy Parks, Healthy People partnership between Cape Cod National Seashore and Cape Cod Healthcare begins within the 44,000-acre National Park, but it also extends throughout Cape Cod – to its families and workplaces, its schools and organizations.
- We promote health and well-being as an interrelated system linking human health to natural landscapes and all species.
We seek expertise and resources from a wide range of partners in the public and private sectors.
- Our aim includes activities that contribute to physical, mental, and spiritual health, and social well-being.
- Our work takes place both within and beyond park boundaries.
We encourage uses that promote the health of all species while avoiding those that impair resources.
- We seek to provide equitable access to open spaces and natural places.
- Our commitment to improving public health will be mirrored in internal programs for our workforces.
During the first year of this sustainable partnership, rangers, interpretive staff and managers of Cape Cod National Seashore have organized to fulfill a federal mandate to integrate National Parks with local communities.
At the same time, Cod Cape Cod Healthcare has mobilized physicians, nurses and athletic trainers who work at Cape Cod Hospital, Falmouth Hospital, the Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod and outpatient clinics to encourage all Cape Codders, not just patients, to improve their health through exercise and appreciation of nature.
They will interact with full-time Cape Cod residents, seasonal residents and many of the nearly 4 million visitors to Cape Cod National Seashore by:
- Staffing registration locations
- Distributing Healthy Parks, Healthy People PASSPORTS
- Providing pre-walk assessments
- Conducting blood pressure testing
- Measuring height, weight and Body Mass Index of all registered walkers
- Guiding custom walks
- Participating in scheduled health clinics and fairs at the National Seashore